Sunday, September 16, 2007

Bakfiets


I have to tell you about this bike that we got. I hope I can get the picture to show up on the website. It is great.

This type of bike is called a “bakfiets” which means, box bike. They are fairly common in the Netherlands but still a novelty in Belgium. We get quite a few stares, especially the time when I accidentally rode into an underground parking garage! Luckily I don’t embarrass that easily.

We use it to transport the boys anywhere, but mainly to school. Their school is more then half an hours walk away, so we take the bike, that way it only takes ten minutes. It is also very convinient for shopping. I must say that its a little tricky at first finding your balance, and it gets ugly when the boys decide to hang out, but oh well. It can be quite cold in the mornings here, with little clouds of steam coming out of our mouth, so in the morning we bundle the boys up for school in mittens and hats, but by afternoon when school lets out it's usually close to seventy, so ten they can ride in their t-shirts. I am kinda afraid that this fancy bike gets stolen, so we have three locks on it. At home we always put it in our hall, because we don't have a shed (or a yard for that matter).

2 comments:

Jenni and Eric said...

that is the coolest bike! i totally want one...

Betsy said...

I'm with Jenni. I totally want one of these! Sometimes Jacob is so slow that it would be nice to toss him in the box and go!!