Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Traffic violation on a bicycle...






Well, there is a first for everything. I got a ticket the other day for riding my bicycle the wrong way on a one-way street. I honestly had not seen the sign. And it would have been okay, if i hadn't met a cop's car on the way down the street. He braked and pointed to the sign. So i made an apologetic face and said "sorry." I thought that was the end of it. But then a street or so later the cop caught up with me again and yelled at me. "Why did you think i was pointing to the one-way sign? So you could ignore me?"
"no," i said, "i thought you pointed to it so that i would know for the next time."
Anyway, he was not amused. And then i didn't have ID on me which was another violation, but at least he didn't give me a ticket for that. I don't know yet how much this is going to cost me. I will get it in the mail.

The boys are making great progress. Stoney has finally learned to swing by himself (i thought i was going to have to push him fro the rest of his life) and he also learned to ride a bike without training wheels. Monty has finally gotten the hang of peddeling on the tricycle.
Stoney's Dutch is pretty good. Monty speaks a mixture of Dutchlish. "Ikke want the auto" and "Monty heeft 'wonnen." Ther are a couple of sentences that he's got down pretty well: "dat mag niet" (that is not allowed) and "Foei, foei, foei" (naughty, naughty, naughty) I suppose he hears those at school a lot =)

The temperature has dropped drastically here. It has been freezing overnight and it only warms up slightly above freezing during the day. It's not normal to be this cold this early in the season, it's just a cold spell. But meanwhile, we are bundeling up and even with that, the boys are shivering in the bakfiets in the morning.